Monday, November 21, 2016

Suriname!

Hey everyone! I'm back in Suriname! Just in time for Thanksgiving. At this time of the year it is truly a special time to truly reflect on all of the things that we are thankful for. I want to give you all a challenge though. Go out and do something for someone else (a friend, family member, or even a stranger) and give them a reason to be thankful this Thanksgiving. Through serving others, we receive so much joy from our Heavenly Father and that is where the true happiness comes from. I hope that you all can do this because I know that it will be well worth your time.

It was a pretty crazy week! I left on Wednesday night to go to Suriname and after quite a few flight delays, I finally got into Suriname at 3 in the morning and got to the apartment at around 4 in the morning and had a rough time sleeping so I got basically no sleep! #missionlife. That same day, the other zone leaders and the sister training leaders went up to the city to skype into Missionary Leadership Council with the area President: President Gonzalez. That was pretty sweet and then Elder Jennings and I did some more stuff in the city before finally heading back to our areas. So I finally got to Uitkijk on Thursday night and we had to weekly plan so we did that for the rest of the night. Friday, we had zone conference with President Egbert and also with President Gonzalez and his wife. There was a big emphasis placed on baptism! We are all going to baptize before the end of the year and work just so much harder to get more baptisms. We are truly hastening the work here in Suriname! That night we had a fireside as well with all of the members and I saw Edmund again!!! Man that was such a good reunion! Love that man a lot and it was just so great to see him and some of the other members there. Great to catch up with them. Sadly Lilian wasn't able to make it, but I'll see her again at some point I'm sure. That went until late at night, so we didn't get to do any proselyting again! Finally Saturday the leaders in South zone had a planning meeting and that took a while, but eventually we got done with it and I finally got to proselyte in my area! And guess what the first thing was?? Biking to Groningen which is about an hour of biking there. That wouldn't have been too bad, but my front tire was having issues and the front brake was partly activated the entire way. We didn't have any tools out there to fix it, so I just worked through it. Man oh man though, not going to lie at all, that was the hardest biking that I've ever done in my life. Worse than the 300 mile bike ride across California. My legs hurt so bad afterwards that when we stopped at a members house to help them out with packing plantain chips, my legs almost gave out completely and I couldn't even walk straight. So that was a ton of fun getting all the way out there and experiencing that! My legs feel awesome now though and it made me stronger ;) We did teach a recently reactivated less active named Monica and she was awesome! Very very cool and super strong! That was great! Finally we had Sunday and church was awesome! Church is usually really low attendance in Uitkijk, but there were 25 there! Lots of less actives are coming back and we had 3 investigators at church! Super cool and church was just great overall. Good experience! That was my week in short haha. Elder Lunceford is awesome. Very humble, very sincere missionary and he has an awesome testimony. I was super impressed at zone conference how he volunteered and wanted to do the role play. He is very good at trying new things and applying the things that he has learned and it's super cool to see. Very excited to continue to work with him and to see many miracles together! He's from Mapelton Utah.

We had a crazy week and this week we are pumped to go out and light this area on fire. I appreciate all of the prayers and love sent my way. You all are incredible and truly give me so much to be thankful for each and every year. Love you all and have a wonderful week. You all deserve it. Lobi!

-- 
~Elder Burr






No comments:

Post a Comment