Monday, January 4, 2016

Wan Switi Nu Jari!

Happy New Year everyone! I hope you all had a lot of fun for New Years! Not too much fun but enjoyed the fireworks! New Years here is INSANE! It's seriously like World War 3 is happening. When they sell fireworks here that definitely would be illegal in the States for 25 cents here which is only 5 cents US, you can imagine. We didn't stay up for it because that would be disobedient, but we definitely heard it. And man.... I can only imagine what happened outside. It was seriously insane. Good stuff.

We had an awesome week this week though and I'll do my best to tell about the highlights of it!

Monday night last week we were going by a member's house and this kid throws a dynamite firecracker thing in the trench about 15 feet away from me so I thought I was safe. I seriously misjudged the power of that thing though because the explosion rocked my eardrum and I got hit with something and I thought it was part of the firecracker. Well... it wasn't and I discovered that when Elder Hood started laughing at me and pointing to my neck. Yeah it was part of the trench and a big glob exploded onto my neck and also on my back. And you don't want to know what the trenches here smell like... Man it was so gross but pretty funny at the same time.

We had a great lesson with an investigator that we have named Dian. She's awesome and comes to church every week but has a hard life because her husband died and she's trying to support herself and her daughter. Her situation is pretty hard and in the lesson she was feeling very down because she missed her husband. We were able to testify though that through Jesus Christ and His Atonement, we will all live again and that she will be able to see her husband again. Super strong Spirit and it gave her some hope! In the next lesson, we had her pray in the lesson about the Book of Mormon and she got an answer! Super awesome and she's making great progression.

On Wednesday we went on exchanges and I was with Elder Hardy in my area. I led the area even though I was only there for 2 weeks! Who's idea was that?! But the say actually went really well and the Spirit really helped me in my Dutch and deciding where to go and who to teach. We had a lesson with the Vrooms (who are just an awesome family here) and the Spirit told me to leave a commitment with them to write New Years spiritual resolutions and somehow I got that point across in Dutch. They all got super excited and made the best goals ever and I am super excited for them!

On Thursday we were outside a house that we got a referral for and Elder Hood was on the phone and I attempted to dismount off my bike. The problem was that my shoelace got stuck in my chain... So as I leaned to dismount, my foot was stuck and I just sideplanted right in front of the house we were going to contact. And yeah all of them were in the front porch and saw me. Yeah I'm pretty smooth I know. The worst part was that I was stuck for like the next 5 minutes while Elder Hood was on the phone. Not my best moment but it was a good way to get some laughs from the family.

We actually got a referral from the Netherlands from a missionary that was in the MTC with me! Shoutout to Elder Meister! The referral is family with the district president here and of a missionary that is about to leave! Such a small world and just awesome. She was great and when we taught her we found another awesome guy! Just finding so many people here that are ready for the gospel! It's awesome! 

Man we invited one of our investigators to church on Sunday named Ramie and he has no legs so we were trying to figure out a way to get him to church. And can I just say that the members in the Paramaribo branch are AWESOME! They went out of their way to find someone to pick him up and his wheelchair and then to find a ride home for him as well. The members here are awesome and are just so supportive of missionary work. They are amazing!

We have experience huge successes this week and the work is really going forward! These were some of the highlights and I could've written a bunch more! I hope you all have a great week and continue to grow in the Gospel! You all are amazing!

~Elder Burr


 The aftermath of the firecracker.
 The Suriname flag
 Pictures of their crowded apartment.



No comments:

Post a Comment